As a downtown business, you know that downtown is on the move. With businesses entering, visitor numbers rising, road project completions and increased community investment, downtown is trending in the right direction. You play an important role in this ongoing growth and revitalization.
Your Downtown Association also plays an important role by helping downtown compete for the community’s interest, free time, discretionary spending and investment. Among other things in the last twelve months, the Downtown Association:
- Marketed businesses in local media, social media and the Downtown Guide;
- Marketed downtown as a destination;
- Hosted major events like the Midnight Sun Festival and Celebration of Lights fireworks show;
- Worked with partners to bring the Week of the Arctic downtown;
- Funded the Community Service Patrol, which aids chronically inebriated people in need while supporting welcoming public spaces downtown;
- Hosted a Commercial Space Open House to improve downtown occupancy rates;
- Swept sidewalks, picked trash and trimmed hedges;
- Advocated for a range of downtown issues, including public infrastructure spending, a new downtown plan, razing the Polaris and pro-business measures;
- Communicated downtown’s happenings – and much more.