Tanana Valley Watershed Association and ThrivAlaska are celebrating the arrival of spring with their annual Green Up Day Contest. Guessing the correct day of “green up” enters you in a drawing to win either two (2) Alaska Airline tickets (up to 25,000 airline miles each) or two (2) Ravn Alaska Airline vouchers. The contest is from April 1 – 22.
“Green Up Day” is determined by the National Weather Service (NWS). The tradition began in 1974 when scientists at the West Ridge of the University of Alaska Fairbanks campus looked out on eastern flank of Chena Ridge. The exact day of “greenup” is when “leaf buds in birch and aspen open just enough to produce a faint but distinct green flush through the forest canopy.” On this day – the NWS declares Green Up.
“After seven long months of winter, the arrival of spring is celebrated with joy in Fairbanks, Alaska,” said Bryn McElroy, Executive Director of TVWA. “The Tanana Valley Watershed Association and ThrivAlaska are excited to celebrate the arrival of spring with the Green Up Day Contest. By entering this guessing contest – you are connecting kids to nature through our Watershed Discovery Zone,” she said.
TVWA in partnership with ThrivAlaska uses this to host a fun fundraising contest. All of TVWA’s proceeds will be dedicated towards the development of Watershed Discovery Zones, TVWA’s outdoor playground models that help kids connect to nature. The goal is to raise $5,000 by selling 1000 raffle tickets.
What can you do to help? Buy tickets! Tickets are available at the following venues:
- Big I Pub & Lounge@ 122 N Turner Street
- Venue @ 514 2nd Avenue
- River City Cafe & Espresso @ 523 2nd Avenue
- S Salon @ 901 Cushman Street
- Fairbanks Children’s Museum @ 302 Cushman Street, Suite #101
- Downtown Association of Fairbanks @ 542 4th Avenue, Suite #204
- Tanana Valley Watershed Association @ 516 2nd Avenue, Suite #412
- Northern Business Systems @ 3526International Street
- Gulliver’s Books @ 3525 College Road
- Grassroots Guitar @ 1019 College Road
- GCI Store @ 510 Merhar Avenue
- Seekins Ford Lincoln @ 1625 Seekins Ford Drive
- Northern Alaska Environmental Center @ 830 College Road
- PDC Inc. Engineers @ 1028 Aurora Drive
- Ivory Jacks @ 2581 Goldstream Road
- ThrivAlaska | 1949 Gillam Way, Suite F
You can also volunteer to sell tickets by contacting Bryn McElroy via email or at 907-374-8890. For more details on Green Up Day, click here.